Bitácora organizes a 7 days geological walking holiday through the Cabo de Gata Geopark. Guided excursions in small groups. Getting to know Spains largest vulcanic area, walking along the edges of the Carboneras fault and across the bottom of dried up oceans between the rising mountains of the Betic Cordilleras, and along beautiful bays and rugged rocky coasts.
You will get a clear picture of the consequences of the collision between the African and the European continent. You will see the visible precense of the Carboneras fault and you will understand the sort of vulcanism that is likely to appear in collision zones. We will discover the coral reefs at the top of the vulcanoes and learn about the tropical conditions and the high seawater level some 6 million years ago. We will find fossile beaches at the foot of the Betic Cordillera as well as huge sediment packages covering the old ocean bottom.
Next excursion from the 9th of March to the 17th of March 2018
- 8 nights stay at the Bitacora aparthotel
- Prices based on 2 persons per apartment
- Breakfast and fieldlunches included
- All local transport as well as airport shuttle included
- Geological tour guides: dr. Anne Fortuin of Andrea Forzoni PhD
- Geological guide (75 pages) included
- Minimum 6 and maximum 12 participants
- Price per person 590 euro
- Airline tickets
- Dinner and drinks
- Travel insurance, accident insurance